Position/Job Summary – Provide interior design services to plan, design, and furnish interiors of College buildings. Work with representatives from campus offices to identify factors affecting planning interior environments such as budget, preferences, purpose and function. Advise clients on interior design factors such as space planning, layout of furnishings/equipment, finish color and material selections and create and provide interior drawings via AutoCAD software. Prepare project specifications and assist with the bid and purchasing processes. Work closely with the Director and coordinate with architects and contractors to ensure job success. Develop, update and maintain a computerized inventory system to monitor furniture, fixture and equipment inventories in all College properties. Maintain on and off campus storage areas and prepare reports itemizing contents. Identify damaged items and make recommendations for repair, restoration, or disposal. Participate in the sale and/or disposal of surplus material generated through the Office of Facilities.
- Assist representative from campus offices with projects involving interior office and other space design; provide options for furniture layout, finish color, material selections, paint color, carpet, and window covering selections. Provide recommendations and assist client in making selection(s). Work with furniture dealers to create quote, finalize with client and Office of Procurement to place the order. Track and coordinate final delivery/ install.
- Prepare computerized furniture and fixture designs using computer-aided design (AutoCAD) and assist in the documentation for construction and furniture projects. Assist in developing a computer based record system for interior drawings and finishes; update and maintain interior drawings.
- Work with representatives from campus offices to finalize selection of office or space furnishings. Assist with processing purchase orders and tracking status of orders. Create and maintain department databases, project files, office files, and related materials.
- Independently supervise projects or components of larger projects from design phase to completion to ensure all work is completed per design specifications. Ensure collaboration with the IC Information Technology (IT & AV Services), the contractor, architect (when applicable), and appropriate Facilities departments.
- Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Assist the Director in identifying, interviewing and hiring architects and contractors for interior design projects including new building and renovation projects.
- Work with architects, contractors and the director on new building and renovation projects to include reviewing drawings and attending project meetings and walk-throughs; specify furniture, fixtures, equipment, finishes and prepare floor plan, reflected ceiling plan, elevation, section, detail, millwork, and furniture drawings as needed.
- Present the design, plan and budget to the client; revise the design plan according to the client’s feedback; specify materials, finishes, lighting and flooring in accordance with the finalized design plan.
- Work with furniture and signage suppliers, College Warehouse, Facilities moving team and campus offices for all deliveries and installations.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with furniture/equipment manufacturer representatives and furniture dealers; maintain and update resource and sample library.
- Work within standard furniture manufacturers for replacement and warranties of current campus furniture. Keep up to date with new manufacturers and suppliers as necessary.
- Assist in the maintenance of a computer based inventory system for tracking and identifying furniture, fixtures and equipment stored in on and off campus locations. Implement an identification system, and procedures and processes for storing and retrieving of inventories. Prepare reports identifying surplus inventory and approximate value. Review inventories and make recommendations for disposal and/or sale. Participate in removal and/or sale of surplus inventories.
- Assess furniture, fixtures, and other equipment prior to storing and identify if repair or refurbishing work is needed; coordinator repair work or disposal.
- Receive requests for surplus furniture and identify available inventory and storage location; assist in scheduling pick-up and delivery from storage location.
- Maintain on and off campus storage areas; organize and inventory all contents; ensure areas are clean and safe and items are properly stored.
- Perform and coordinate yearly walkthroughs of campus buildings to survey and document conditions of furniture and interior spaces. Provide written reports of findings to Director and execute the plan to ameliorate issues.
- Able to balance multiple job tasks and projects at once. Coordinate multiple contractors and Facilities personnel to complete projects.
Position/Job Qualifications – Bachelors degree in interior design or architecture and at least 2 years of related professional experience in interior design; strong creative graphic design skills; a good design sense and proven portfolio of interior design projects; ability to effectively and succinctly communicate design rationale; and identify trends and show concepts from rough through final stages of design; experience working with furniture dealers and manufacturers, architectural firms, and contractors; knowledge of office furniture systems and expertise with computer-aided design (AutoCAD); word processing, spreadsheet and data base software application expertise; excellent attention to detail; highly-developed organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment; adaptable, competent, motivated and customer-focused; ability to prioritize projects, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines, and the ability to work independently and in a team environment are required. Knowledge of sustainable products, familiarity with the LEED certificate process and knowledge and familiarity with ADA and building codes are preferred. NCIDQ knowledge or certification.
Market Hiring Range: $20 – $24 hourly
For more details on this position, please visit https://ithaca.peopleadmin.com/postings/15985
To apply for this job please visit ithaca.peopleadmin.com.