The NoVo Foundation is a private foundation dedicated to building a more just and balanced world. In furtherance of its charitable and educational purposes, NoVo seeks to foster a transformation in global society from a culture of domination and exploitation to collaboration and partnership, empowering women and girls as the primary agents of change. NoVo has become one of the largest private foundations in the world to support initiatives focused explicitly on girls and women, including a dedicated focus on ending violence against girls and women and advancing the rights of adolescent girls. NoVo also supports efforts to advance social and emotional learning, support indigenous communities and promote local living economies.
NoVo offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, generous vacation, and a pleasant working environment. The Foundation is dedicated to promoting an environment of collaboration and workplace flexibility. NoVo deeply values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of underrepresented backgrounds including with regard to gender, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
Position Title: Facilities Manager
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Position based in Brooklyn, NY and will involve some travel to Foundation’s Kingston, NY office and three remote locations (Washington D.C., Seattle, WA, and Polson, MT)
The Foundation is seeking a Facilities Manager to provide leadership, planning, management and co-ordination for the Foundation’s physical offices and remote locations, including maintenance and capital improvement projects. The Foundation owns one newly developed 20,000 sf building in Brooklyn, NY, and leases one 4,500 sf, 200-year-old historic building in Kingston, NY, and supports various remote staff, either in home offices or co-working spaces.
The Facilities Manager will ensure the reliability of all buildings’ operating systems, especially but not limited to, conveyance, audio/ visual, electrical, mechanical, building security, and life safety. The Facilities Manager will work independently and manage a vast array of vendor supports to ensure all systems are properly maintained, operated, and documented. The Facilities Manager, in collaboration with the COO and office administrators, shall develop, manage and improve all office procedures and standards, manage facilities-related budgetary planning and capital maintenance expenditures, and ensure staff are fully trained on all aspects of building management and caretaking. The ideal candidate will be excited about NoVo’s mission and will conduct all duties in alignment with the organization’s values.
Office Maintenance & Vendor Management
· Oversee building infrastructure and systems to ensure safe, proper, and energy-efficient operations. This includes, but is not limited to, the following systems: cooling tower, heat pumps, HVAC controls, roof top units, boilers, various booster pumps, electrical switchgear distribution, elevator, roof, façade, window systems, centrifugal fire pump, security monitoring, audio/ visual equipment, movable partitions, and fire alarm monitoring systems.
· Manage contracts and relationships with facilities-related vendors.
· Develop and maintain a contact list for all service providers and vendors and manage all related vendor relationships in a central database.
· Hire, train, and manage maintenance and security vendors, conducting scheduled evaluations as required.
· Manage, coordinate, and perform emergency, planned, and preventative maintenance.
· Develop facility improvement initiatives while maintaining consistently high service levels. Must be proactive and responsive in keeping the building running smoothly.
· Perform or coordinate daily building tours to identify and correct building safety, comfort, and cleanliness issues.
· Perform typical handyperson repairs including, but not limited to, HVAC, boiler, plumbing, lighting, carpentry, painting, furniture, doors’ locks and hardware, flooring, carpeting, cleaning and landscaping.
· Be available off-hours for emergencies and other required work.
· Provide direction and support in serving as the on-site contact person for all facilities-related questions and projects.
· Use online ticketing system (Zendesk) to answer facilities-related requests, monitor and analyze trends, and implement improvements, all with a high level of service.
· Develop annual maintenance calendar.
· Manage vendors in accordance with the Foundation’s mission, values and culture.
· Develop community relationships with local police, fire, and community boards.
· Ensure harmony with neighbors.
Event Staging & Hospitality Support
· Develop and implement schedule and protocols for Foundation meeting and event set-ups.
· Lead set-up and preparation for meetings and special events. This comprises events held during normal business hours as well as select evenings and weekends.
· Coordinate or support large catering orders for events.
· Ensure office and event space is clean, comfortable, and in good working order for guests at all times.
Safety, Security, & Compliance
· Maintain a safe and sound working environment, including up‐to‐date filings, inspections, and tests of systems for proper certifications and permits with all City and State agencies.
· Ensure all life safety systems are appropriately maintained and in compliance with regulations.
· Ensure all facilities management and maintenance is done with compliance and knowledge of all applicable building codes.
· Develop safety and evacuation plans, provide staff trainings and drills regularly, and ensure accurate, detailed, and easy-to-follow documentation.
· Maintain compliance with all OSHA regulations applicable to building services staff and vendors, ensuring technical and safety training where applicable.
· Ensure responsiveness to all emergencies applicable to the facilities, including evaluating facilities and equipment for damage and taking the necessary steps to protect and/or repair all facility related assets and systems.
· Develop systems to manage and maintain in good order all records as required by the government agencies having jurisdiction and as directed by the Foundation.
· Evaluate and manage security vendors, as needed.
· Work in conjunction with Technology staff to ensure security systems are appropriately configured and in good working order. Receive ongoing training as a Security System Administrator.
· Stay educated and informed of best practices in facilities management and other standards related to the buildings’ systems and infrastructure, including OSHA, DOB, FDNY, DOH, DOT, Dept. of Sanitation.
Budget and Inventory
· Develop the annual facilities operating budget and play a key role in the development of the Foundation’s capital budget using facilities assessments, audits, and strategic planning.
· Monitor budgets for reasonableness, compliance, and expense management.
· Establish and implement monthly reports to the Foundation’s COO, incorporating status reports on functionality of systems, overall building operation, vendor performance, expenditures against budget, and inventory levels.
· Create and implement the submittal process for financial requests related to capital purchases, contract approvals, and purchase orders.
· Observe all the Foundation’s internal financial controls as applicable in the procurement process, including sourcing, bidding, and payment protocols.
· Establish and maintain an inventory and procurement system. Responsible for primary approval of all bids for repairs, services, equipment replacements, and capital projects (including the RFP process), operating within the approved budget in a cost effective and timely manner.
· Establish and maintain all facility-related information using an appropriate electronic filing system.
· Maintain repair and maintenance logs for equipment and general warranty oversight.
· Monitor and reduce energy costs through the use of HVAC, boiler, domestic water pump & lighting sensor controls.
· Coordinate all supply and furniture orders in conjunction with the COO.
Capital Improvement Projects
· Participate in and/or lead the management of construction, improvement, and expansion projects, including the development and management of work plans, budgets, estimates, and schedules.
· Coordinate and facilitate office moves.
· Manage facility planning and financial forecasting including equipment life cycle estimation, space planning allocation, and building management.
· Lead the Foundation’s efforts for workforce participation efforts on all projects. Attend conferences and provide leadership to promote workforce participation initiatives.
· Support other Foundation programmatic initiatives with capital improvement or real estate development aspects.
· Extensive experience managing modern buildings with the operations of an ABM Building Maintenance System (BMS).
· Minimum five (5) years of experience in a facilities management role. Experience working with a non-profit or mission-driven organization preferred.
· Certified Facility Manager (CFM) or Facility Management Professional (FMP) preferred.
· Appropriate Certificates of Fitness for citywide sprinkler/standpipe inspection from FDNY required.
· Broad understanding and experience in commercial construction techniques and norms.
· Broad understanding of managing Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified buildings.
· Solid project management experience, skills and abilities preferred.
· Strong vendor management skills required.
· Working knowledge of, or willingness to learn, all laws, regulations, materials, methods and tools involved in the maintenance of facilities in Foundation locations.
· The physical demands of this position are moderate with the expectation that the Facilities Manager can exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to multi-task and handle short term deadlines and conflicting priorities.
· Computer proficiency including usage of the Microsoft Office Suite is required. NoVo is a Mac-based office.
· Demonstrated prior experience developing and managing budgets required.
· Knowledge of cost estimating and blue print reading experience a plus.
· Excitement about the mission of the Foundation is required.
Certifications Achieved or Commitment to Obtaining:
· OSHA 30 Hour General Industry Safety & Health
· FDNY COF #F-07 Fire and Emergency Drill Conductor
· FDNY COF #S-95 Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems and Other Related Systems
· FDNY COF #S-12 Citywide Sprinkler Systems
· FDNY COF #P-99 Low PSI Oil Burner Operator
· Appropriate Certificates of Fitness for citywide sprinkler/standpipe inspection from FDNY
· Certified Facility Manager (CFM) or Facility Management Professional (FMP)
Please send a letter of interest, resume and 3 references by email to: NoVoFM@upcnyc.com
Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
To apply for this job email your details to NoVoFM@upcnyc.com